You are here
The name Dalmore comes from the Old Norse "dal", meaning valley, along with the Gaelic "mòr", meaning large (there is a Dail Beag just along the coast).
Dalmore is the smallest village within the district of Carloway. It has eleven crofts and only five houses - three of which are occupied year-round.
Archaeological evidence indicates that people lived on the machair land of Dalmore in pre-historic times.
In more recent times, there was an Established Church in the village, situated on present croft 5. It was in use up until the disruption of 1843.
In the 1850s, the township was cleared of its twenty families so that the land could become part of Dalbeg Farm. In 1920, Lord Leverhulme offered the farm of Dalbeg and Dalmore back for crofting purposes but it wasn't until November 1921 that the first families moved back.
Dalmore beach is one of the most attractive beaches in the island and is very popular with surfers. Above the beach are the two main cemeteries for the Shawbost to Callanish area. The one nearest to the carpark opened in 1906 and the other one in 1962.