You are here
John Morrison (1890-1978) was a son of Angus Morrison and Isabella Macdonald, 9 Calbost.
On February 9, 1911 he enrolled in the Royal Naval Reserve, S/N A3361,C4245, D4194 and E811. His records indicate that he was 5ft 7¼ in tall with dark brown hair, grey eyes, a fresh complexion, and tattoos of a Woman Sailor, True Love, a Snake, a Flag and an Anchor. John was a fisherman on Fraserbrgh and Stornoway fishing boats. In 1913 he lived in Glasgow and worked for the Clyde Trust. He was Mobilised on August 4, 1914 and served with the Royal Naval Division in the First World War. John, was transferred to the Hawke Division and fought in France. In October 1914 he was taken prisoner at the Battle of Antwerp and served the rest of the War in Doberitz Prisoner of War Camp. John is mentioned in Loyal Lewis.
After the War John worked as a rigger at Fairfields, Govan until March 1923 when he became a conductor on the Trams and later a Motorman on the trams in 1926. John was unemployed for a year, worked as a rigger and then as a handyman at Hunter & Jack Ltd, Albion Leather and W & J Martin, Leather Merchants in Bridgeton. He lived at 498 Baltic Street, Bridgeton.
At Bridgeton, Glasgow in 1936, he married Helen Costello Maclaren, Queen Mary Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow. John and Helen settled at 44 Guest Street, Anderston, Glasgow.
He was divorced on June 5, 1958.