104876: United Free Church of Scotland, Berneray

This is one of three church buildings still existing on Berneray, the others being the old Telford Established Church, and the disused Free Church.

In 1843 over 90% of the population of Berneray belonged to the Free Church, but had no minister or proper building of their own until 1887, when the current church was built. Berneray’s first Free Church minister was Rev Murdoch Morrison inducted on 22nd November 1888. Following re-organisation of the Church within Scotland, the congregation divided into the Free Church and United Free Church, and this building became the base for the congregation of the United Free Church. In 2001 the parishes of Berneray and Lochmaddy were merged and regular services are held in both churches. 

Having been the Free Church of Scotland, then the United Free Church of Scotland, this building is now the Church of Scotland.

Ministers who have served in this Church include: Reverend Murdo Morrison (to 1928); Reverend Murdo Smith (to 1932); Reverend Angus MacDonald (to 1939); Reverend William MacLennan (1952 to 1955) and Reverend William MacKenzie (1956 to 1963). Reverend Donald Angus MacKay left in 1993.

Record Location

Details
Record Type:
Building or Public Amenity
Type Of Building Public Amenity:
Church
Record Maintained by:
CEBH

Related Media

Backhill and Church Road

Backhill and Church Road

United Free Church, Church Road, Berneray

United Free Church, Church Road, Berneray