111852: HMS Pembroke

Several Royal Navy ships have been named HMS Pembroke since 1655. However, during much of the 20th century, it was the name given to the shore barracks at Chatham. The construction of the permanent shore base at Chatham began in 1897 and it was officially opened in 1903. The shore establishment was served by base and depot ships that were also named HMS Pembroke.

On 3rd September 1917, the Drill Hall was being used as overflow accommodation when it suffered a direct hit by two bombs dropped by German planes, resulting in the loss of 130 lives. 

The barracks closed in 1984, with the buildings now used by the Universities at Medway.

Record Type:
Building or Public Amenity
Date Built:
Record Maintained by: