In 1879, money collected to commemorate the contribution of Sir James Young Simpson to obstetrics, ended the numerous moves to makeshift hospitals which had been made over the preceding forty years, and enabled the city to open a purpose-built maternity hospital where the poor could have their children under medical supervision. On the 1st March 1939, the old Simpson closed and the Simpson Memorial Maternity Pavilion, which was incorporated into the the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, assumed responsibility for maternity services.
- Record Type:
- Building or Public Amenity
- Type Of Building Public Amenity:
- Record Maintained by: