The Doctor’s Surgery and House in Miavaig was built in the 1930s. The doctor served the community of Uig and Bernera; the nearest hospital is Western Isles Hospital in Stornoway. Initially, the doctor was based in Garyhine – Dr Victor Ross. After the policeman for Uig became stationed at Carloway, Dr Grant lived in the house. He retired in 1935. The doctor’s house at An Sithean Dubh, Miavaig was built in 1939. Dr Maclennan, when he came first boarded with Johanna Goodge and Mr and Mrs Maclennan lived in Crowlista for a time until the doctor’s house was ready. Dr Peter Matheson was there from 1945-1972 and Dr John Hay from 1972-1997. Dr Colin Macdonald, succeeded Dr John Hay in 1997 and was the last resident doctor in Uig, retiring in 2009. Medical cover was then by travelling locums for a while.
Since 2010, the Langabhat Medical Practice covers an area from Brenish to Ness, Bernera, North and South Lochs, the main practice being at Leurbost. There is a branch surgery at Miavaig with visiting doctors a few days per. week with nurse practitioners and other healthcare professionals complementing the team. There were two district nurses cottages, now privately owned houses for several years. The doctor’s house has also been sold as a private dwelling.
- Record Type:
- Building or Public Amenity
- Date Built:
- Type Of Building Public Amenity:
- Record Maintained by: