41326: Eaglais Mharcoil

The ruins of this church are on No 15 Kirkibost. The visible ruins are of a church that was built at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries by the “two Murdos”. One, Murdo Macaulay moved to Tobson, the other was a Murdo Smith; both are in the 1807 Rent Roll. It is very likely that this was the site of an earlier church as this croft contains many ruins, some of which are believed to be of an ancient “college”. John Maclennan “Scodaidh” built one of his boats inside the ruined church.

Record Location

Record Type:
Building or Public Amenity
Date Built:
18th century
Type Of Building Public Amenity:
Record Maintained by:

Related Media

Eaglais Mharcoil

Eaglais Mharcoil