Sheilings on this part of the moor were used by Bernera crofters prior to 1872, when sporting estates were established at Morsgail and Scaliscro. The grazing right on this land was taken off them and they were forced to move nearer home.
NB 1953 2484
NB12SE 15 1953 2484
What may be one unroofed shieling-hut, which is annotated as a Ruin, and three roofed shieling-huts, one of which lies approximately 180m to the SE, are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1853, sheet 31). One unroofed building is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 August 1997
Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.
- Record Type:
- Historical or Archaeological Site
- Type Of Site:
- SMRRecord ID:
- Record Maintained by: