Sheilings on this part of the moor were used by Bernera crofters prior to 1872, when sporting estates were established at Morsgail and Scaliscro. The grazing right on this land was taken off them and they were forced to move nearer home.
NB 197 277
NB12NE 6 1970 2770
What may be three roofed shieling-huts are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1853, sheet 31). Two unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 12 August 1997
Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.
- Record Type:
- Historical or Archaeological Site
- Type Of Site:
- SMRRecord ID:
- Record Maintained by: