Sheilings on this part of the moor were used by Bernera crofters prior to 1872, when sporting estates were established at Morsgail and Scaliscro. The grazing right on this land was taken off them and they were forced to move nearer home.
NB 1906 2475
NB12SE 7 1906 2475
A shieling, built of peat moss sods and stones.
Name Book 1851
One roofed shieling-hut is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1853, sheet 31) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973) where it is shown as unroofed.
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 August 1997
Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Ross-shire, No. 86, p. 54
Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.
- Record Type:
- Historical or Archaeological Site
- Type Of Site:
- SMRRecord ID:
- Record Maintained by: