118536: Bayfield, Portree, Skye

The houses of Bayfield are dotted along the shore, below the slopes of the wooded Meall, or Lump, a peninsula jutting out into Portree Bay and laid out with shrubs and trees in the 1830s. In the 1851 Census, the row of houses was registered as Sligneach, “Shelly” in Gaelic, but thereafter known as Bayfield. It was also the location of a salmon fishing station and the drying greens for the nets are still there. The strips of land behind the houses have been absorbed into the site of the hospital.

Record Location

Record Type:
Type Of Location:
Record Maintained by: