In 1850 the crofts in the township of Ruisgarry were re-organised (relotted) by the Harris Estate. They were enlarged and reduced in number to 22.
The term ‘old’ Ruisgarry is used for convenience, to refer to the township before 1850. In 1818 the Estate Rental shows that there were 33 tenants and by 1830, despite emigration in the intervening years, the number of tenants had increased to 43. The 1841 census lists 58 apparent tenants, plus tradesmen and cottars. Unfortunately it is difficult to identify where the individual crofts were situated before the 1850 re-organisation.
- Record Type:
- Type Of Location:
- Record Maintained by: