The Black Watch, Am Freiceadan Dubh, was formed in 1739 from ten Independent Highland Companies in order to ‘watch’ the Highlands. Originally the 43rd Highland Regiment of Foot, it was renumbered the 42nd in 1748, ten years later adding Royal to its name so becoming the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foot.
In 1881 the byname was formally recognised in the regiment’s new name – the Royal Highland Regiment (The Black Watch), amended to The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) in 1931.
Since 2006, the Black Watch continues as the 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland.
More information about the Black Watch’s history, including its many military engagements, can be found on its museum’s website. A summary of engagements during 1914-1918 can be found on this WW1 website.
- Record Type:
- Type Of Organisation:
- Record Maintained by: