You are here

History of Doune Carloway (1754-1897)

History of Doune Carloway (1754-1897)

1754 - Doune and Tolsta Chaolais were a paret of the tack of Little Bernera, along with Lundale and Crulivig. Tacksmen were Macivers, sub-letting to sub-tenants.

1807 - Doune and Sanndaig became a farm, let to the heirs of Major Maciver of Upper Bayble and Aignish.

1828 - Doune divided into 16 crofts, mainly for tenants evicted from Hacklete, Bernera. These crofts did not have the same boundaries as present crofts. A small farm was also made along the present main road, covering an area from Doune School to the shore at Kirvick.

1832 - Tack house built at 24 Doune Carloway. Alexander Humphrey from Elgin was the tacksman from 1833-1853 when he moved to Swainbost Farm. The Humphreys donated the christening font that is in the present Free Church of Scotland, Carloway.

1853 - Doune tenants were evicted to Bernera and other places. A new farm was created for John Smith (mac Murchaidh Ruaidh) who had held the farm of Garynahine He left Doune in 1973 to go to Stornoway.

1872 - Doune re-crofted into 23 crofts and a small farm near the tack house with tenants from Mangersta, Uig who had asked to leave their township because of the difficulty of harvesting crops there. Two families also came from Garynahine. Before crofts were officially allocated, some tenants built temporary shelters with roofing materials taken by boat from Mangersta. They were very poor and were too late to plant a potato crop in the first year.

1873 - The tacksman was Donald Macdonald, Crobeg (am Maor Domhnallach).

1897 - Alexander Mackenzie who was the Ground Officer (Maor) married Mary Macdonald from Benbecula. She had come to Doune School as a maid and her sister was the headmaster's wife.

 

Title: History of Doune Carloway (1754-1897)
Record Type: Stories, Reports and Traditions
Type: Magazine Article
Record Maintained By: CEC
Subject Id: 69052