You are here

Ardroil, Lewis

Ardroil, Lewis

Ardroil (Eadar Dha Fhadhail - 'between two fords') lies on the southwestern side of Uig Sands between the Forsa River and the Red River.

There were once several villages in the area: Cappadale, Penny Donald and Balnicol, also Benelehen which was a separate holding. Baile a' Ghriasaich and Baile a' Ghobhainn were names used locally for certain areas.

It was in the dunes at Pennydonald (Ardroil since 1921) the famous Uig Chessmen were found by a local man, Malcolm Macleod (Calum an Sprot), in 1831.

These villages were cleared by Mr Stewart Mackenzie in the late 1830s to make way for Ardroil  Farm. The Cappadale families moved mostly to Swainbost in Ness and later to Canada in 1851; two Macdonald brothers, Kenneth and Farquhar, went to Geshader.

Neighbouring Carnish was later cleared by the Mathesons to be added to Ardroil  Farm.

In 1921 Ardroil Farm was split into crofts and the present village of Ardroil came into being.

Satellite image

Title: Ardroil, Lewis
Record Type: Locations
Gaelic Name: Eadar Dha Fhadhail; Eadar Dhà Fhadhail
Type: Village/Township
Grid Ref Easting: 104779
Grid Ref Northing: 932209
Record Maintained By: CEU
Subject Id: 1940