You are here

Deanston, Lochganvich

Deanston, Lochganvich

Deanston, now part of Lochganvich, was an area set up as an experimental 'farm' under Sir James Matheson. He employed James Smith from Deanston in Perthshire to oversee the experiment.

Several families from Uig were in residence there in the 1851 Census. However the experiment failed and the 80 acres became part of Lochganvich.

A List of Tenants who have Taken Lots in Deanston Park from Reef and Elsewhere, April 1850 gives Angus Macdonald, Donald Smith and Angus Maclean, all at a rent of 13/- per annum.

The 1851 census indicates the following tenants, most with large families:

Finlay Maclean (53)

Angus Maclean (38)

Murdo Maciver (50)

Annabella Maciver (52, widow)

John Mackenzie (58)

John Maciver (32)

Chirsty Macdonald (23, married)

Donald Smith (35)

Alexander Mac (27)

Norman Young (28)

Donald Mackay (38)

Malcolm Matheson (38)

Murdo Matheson (50)

Catherine Matheson (48, widow)

Evander Maciver (43)

 

 

 

 

Title: Deanston, Lochganvich
Record Type: Locations
Also Known As: Lochganvich
Record Maintained By: CECTL
Subject Id: 47262