Completed in 1953, the Bernera Bridge links the island of Bernera to mainland Lewis. It consists of three spans, each of 108ft, formed of three parallel beams of pre-stressed concrete, and covered by an in-situ concrete deck slab. The bridge is 13ft wide between parapets, has a 9ft carriageway, 3ft footpath, and guard kerb 1ft wide. The abutments and piers are of conventional design, and consist of cylindrical shafts, 7ft 3ins in diameter, placed 14ft apart between centres, carried on a concrete base slab and capped by a reinforced concrete beam, on which the girder bearings are set.
- Record Type:
- Historical or Archaeological Site
- Type Of Site:
- 20th century
- Record Maintained by: