Mealista is the last village (now deserted) on the Uig road, heading south; over the hills lies Harris. The name is from the norse melr-stadhr, meaning ‘lyme-grass steading’.
There are numerous archaeological remains in the area including Tigh nan Cailleachan Dubha, the House of the Black Women, which is purported to have been a nunnery, although substantial doubts exist. See also the chapel.
Once well populated, the village was cleared in 1837-38 to make way for a sheep farm. Many of the inhabitants removed to the Eastern Townships of Quebec, in Canada.
- Record Type:
- Type Of Location:
- Record Maintained by: