Leurbost, together with Ranish, is among the oldest villages in North Lochs.
Under the Mackenzies it was let as a tack with evidence within the Seaforth papers of the tacksmen from as early as 1718. The original village ran from near the old school site to Cotton Hill.
An archaeological survey commissioned by the grazings committee prior to a forestation project is available to the public from the comann eachdraidh. Contact details can be found here. Aside from sheilings, this report documents evidence of an old trackway, a defended settlement, an enclosure wall, a possible fort and a head dyke.
In more recent times Leurbost was known for its merchants and weavers.
- Record Type:
- Also Known As:
- Luerbost; Luirbost
- Type Of Location:
- Record Maintained by: