67687: Mary Smith

Mary (c1780-1865) was a daughter of John Smith and Ann Smith. Mary married Malcolm Gillies of Cappadale; the couple settled in Miavaig where they raised at least eight children. As well as the children listed there was a Bess, born c1828, enumerated in the 1851 census with the family.

According to local tradition the family was cleared from Miavaig when Miavaig Farm and House was created in the 1850s for James Macrae, the Registrar and the Inspector of the Poor in Uig. The Gillies family (who had once lived on high ground near the entrance to Glen Valtos) relocated to Carishader. 

Record Type:
Date Of Birth:
Date of Death:
6 May 1865
Brothers Keeper Reference:
CEU 2453
Record Maintained by: