112334: Tulach Ard

This site was originally a cottar’s house at 37 North Tolsta, but it was feued off from the croft. The first occupants were John Mackenzie, Christina Murray and their children: Annie, Margaret and Isabella. In the mid 1930s, Annie built a new bungalow on the site which she named Tulach Ard.

Annie was a teacher and taught in Ness before coming to Tolsta in January 1941. She never married and lived with her sister Isabella. After the sisters died the house was sold.

Record Type:
Croft or Residence
Date Built:
Type Of Residence:
Record Maintained by: