113465: Gress Tack

In 1718 Gress Tack was divided between two tacksman: Roderick Mackenzie and Alexander Maciver.

In 1726 Gress Tack was let to John Maciver.

By 1740 Back Tack, which had been let directly to joint tenants had been added to the Gress Tack, which was let by John Maciver. This was still the case in 1754.

By 1766  John Maciver's son William was the tacksman for Gress Tack and Back Tack. They had passed to Wliiam Maciver's widow by 1768.

By 1790 the Tacks had passed to William's brother: Evander Maciver.

By 1807 the Tacksman of Gress & Back is Evander Maciver and heirs.

In 1814 the Tacksman is Evander's son Lewis Maciver.

In 1825 Gress & Back were let to Lewis Maciver. Sometime between 1828 and 1833 cheviot sheep were bought on to the Tack and some people left Gress for Back due to this change; it is unclear if it was around this time that the land began to be referred to as Gress Farm or if that happened later.

By 1833 Gress Tack was seperate from Back Tack. Back Tack was let directly to joint tenants in the township of Old Back. Old Back township was taken over by tacksmen again in 1835, but the tenants do not appear to have been disturbed. In 1851 the township of Old Back reverted to direct tenure and was relotted as the village of Back.

Any information on the occupants of Gress or its history are gratefully recieved.

 

Record Location

Details
Record Type:
Location
Type Of Location:
Tack
Record Maintained by:
CEBac